Finding Rest for Your Soul
“Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
“My salvation was a free gift. I didn’t have to work for it, and it is better than any gold medal I have ever won.” Betty Cuthbert
- Oh sweet friend, take a deep breath and be still. It’s time to meet with Jesus. What a wonderful privilege we have!
- Read John 14:6, and write it in your journal. If you are a believer in Jesus, you could take a few moments to remember the day you were saved and first believed in Jesus! Journal about what parts of your salvation have meant the most to you!
Finding Rest for Your Soul
My story of my salvation and how I came to know Jesus is one that is so precious to me. I’d love to share it with all of you today!
I was sitting in a church youth group, 17 years old, and going on my second week of my three-month sentence of being grounded. My parents had found out I was skipping school to be with my boyfriend, failing classes, sneaking out at night, partying, amongst other things. I figured that day I’d just let it all out in that one sitting so they could just ground me for all of it at once! All they knew sitting me down was that I had skipped class! My poor parents!
Anyways, back to sitting at our church in youth group. I remember that day I felt heavy, really heavy. I felt insecure, ashamed, and lonely. Even at 17 years old I could feel the weight of the world pulling me in a million directions, and every single one of them was far away from God. I struggled with my self-image; I would never look good enough. I struggled with feeling ashamed; if people only knew what I’ve been doing, no one would stick around me. I struggled with feeling accepted; growing up with a somewhat complicated and messy family life left me feeling, as a good friend calls it, like “a lost puppy.”
I don’t remember what the pastor talked about that day. I just remember my heart being open to it. I was ready to stop living this life that continually left me drained, unfulfilled and lost, and start living a life for God.
Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-29, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
I needed rest. Not physically but spiritually and mentally. That day, Jesus swept in. I believed his powerful message of dying on the cross for my sins. I believed He rose on the third day from the grave, and I believed he was God.
On that day, I was forever changed. My life had a purpose- to live for God and trust in His ways. My sins–past, present, and future–were covered in His grace. I was able to live freely and without shame.
Do you believe that God came for you? Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and is ready, and able, to save you? Right where you are, right now, you can pray to God! Tell Him how you are feeling, tell Him you believe in Him, and tell Him you are ready to be free!
If you have believed in Jesus today and would like to become a Christian here is a simple prayer to pray!
“Dear God, thank you for dying on the cross for my sins! I believe that you came for me and that you want to have a relationship with me! I don’t need to change in order to enter into your presence. Thank you for loving my just as I am! I pray that today and the rest of my life you will help me to follow you. In Jesus name, Amen!
Questions to Ponder
- If you prayed and believed in Jesus today, who can you tell?! Is there a local church nearby where you could tell someone and start learning about God? We are so excited for you!
- If you already know Jesus and follow Him, has it been a while since you prayed and thanked God for this amazing, precious gift? He wants to be with you and celebrate that beautiful day together!
- For someone who has just believed, buy a journal and document this day! Jesus is alive and at work in your life! He is going to be your Helper, your Comforter, your Stronghold, your Strength, your Rescuer, your Redeemer!!! Today marks such an important day and one you will want to remember vividly 🙂 Like the old hymn says, “Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus!”
- For the believer, would you prayerfully consider sharing your salvation story with someone? Ask God who needs to hear your story. I love that each of our testimonies is unique. What a brilliant God we have- He knows that our specific story can change someone’s heart! When that person comes to mind, write their name down somewhere you will see if often, and start praying for them! Pray that your timing will be God’s timing and their heart would be open to hearing it!
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.