But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-25
“The Holy Spirit illuminates the minds of people, makes us yearn for God, and takes spiritual truth and makes it understandable to us.” – Billy Graham
- Call your prayer partner for your 10-minute prayer call. If you are having trouble connecting, keep trying!
- It’s time to meet with your Beloved, your Savior and the Lover of your soul! Pray and ask Him to speak to you about what it means to Keep in Step with the Holy Spirit and for the help to do so more and more each day.
- Read Galatians 5:16-26. Write verse 25 in your journal.
How to Keep in Step With the Holy Spirit
Do you ever have trouble living the Christian life? We all have times which test our faith, but the way to overcome is to continue to stay as close to Jesus as possible. He is our life. His Holy Spirit which dwells inside of us gives us the power we need to live the triumphant life God has for us.
So much of the goodness in our lives comes from keeping in step with the Holy Spirit. Trouble comes when we go ahead or lag behind. When we become Christians, God gives us the precious Holy Spirit as a deposit of the life which is to come when we are in fellowship with our blessed Savior in heaven. Earth is the broken place, in heaven all will be perfect. Here we have sorrow and suffering; there all will be whole.
Living in the power of the Holy Spirit while we are on this earth is the very best way to live within the confines of the brokenness and the beauty. The very presence and filling of the Holy Spirit are what is needed to be whole in this world.
The Holy Spirit is where we get our strength and our power! Just like we receive the energy for our bodies from the food we eat, we receive the energy for living the victorious Christian life from the Spirit of God!
Have you ever stopped to think about the fact that the same God who created everything in this world and universe lives inside of YOU! Isn’t that amazing? If this is true, why is it that we don’t live the life God has for us?
And how do you know if you are keeping in step with the Spirit?
Do you worry about tomorrow? Do you have deep regrets about the past? Are you showing fruits of living by the Spirit?
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23.
I think sometimes we don’t live by the Spirit as much because the cares and worries of this world choke the fruit right out of us. We feel disconnected from God. Sometimes life gets hard, but we should be relying on God ESPECIALLY during these times!
God is with us in the hard times just as much as He is in the easy times. He never leaves us. The fruits of the spirit are a beautiful by-product of living in the power of the Holy Spirit. When we are connected and aware of His presence, He fills us with joy. This is where noticing God’s goodness comes in. When we are thankful, things become easier and more peaceful because we see what we have. The focus becomes on what we have, and NOT on what we don’t have.
Pray with me today: “Holy Spirit, please open my eyes the ways which you work in my life. Help me to stay in step with you and not lag behind or go ahead. I want to notice your daily presence in my life and to learn to hear your voice. Speak to me through your Word daily, and make me aware of all of the ways you show your loving-kindness to me. Give me a thankful heart. In Jesus name, Amen.”
Questions to Ponder
- How about you? Do you worry about tomorrow or feel deep regrets about the past? Are you showing fruits of living by the Spirit?
- Pray and ask God to show you any areas of your life which you are not keeping in step with the Holy Spirit. Ask Him to help you to surrender anything that is holding you back from the life God has for you, and pray for His help and power to walk with Him.
Faith-Filled Ideas: Try these ideas to help you to stay in step with the Holy Spirit!
- Spend time with God. This is how we refuel! When we spend time with God, we get His perspective on our lives and how He wants us to live. Be sure to ask for wisdom for your day!
- Worship! There are countless scriptures which talk about the benefits of worship. When we worship God, it opens the doors to the working of the Holy Spirit. Try turning on some worship music during your time with God and keep it on all day long. This little habit will transform your life!
- Ask God to help you to see into the hearts of your husband, children and friends and those you encounter during your day. Pray for God’s perspective on everything and to help you to love others well!
- Give God control of your day, your schedule and your friendships. Pray each day and commit your cell phone, (ask God to control who calls and texts) your appointment book, even your front door to God. When we trust God with these areas of our life, it makes it harder to feel lonely and isolated. If God wants you to receive a phone call or go to lunch, He will schedule it for you!
- Commit your finances to God. Ask Him to help you to be wise and frugal with His money. Pray for a generous heart that loves to bless others.
- Notice God! Purposely build checkpoints into your day to stop and remember the goodness of God. Did a friend call to say you’ve been on her mind? How about the hug from your toddler when he said he loves his mommy? What about finding the coupon on the floor at Target that was exactly what you needed, or the beautiful moment you and your husband spent gazing at the sunset before dinner? All of these are God’s little ways to show you He loves you! Get into the habit of stopping and telling God that you noticed His great love for you today. When we are thankful and notice even the smallest details of God’s love and care, it makes us all so much happier and fills us with joy!
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.
If there was one thing Deb would love to share with you is that God is personal and loves you as you are. You don’t have to be perfect to be loved by our amazing God! Come as you are! His loving presence can be practically known and experienced. He is not a God who is far away, He is dearly near and easily found. He longs for you to come to Him!