Quick and Easy Meals: Taco Chicken with Homemade Taco Seasoning and Layered Taco Casserole
Here’s Brandi Carson, one of HCFM’s Meal Masters With This Weeks Food For the Soul!
The holidays are such a joy filled whirlwind for many families. There are places to go, many traditions we hold dear to our hearts, baking to do, and gifts to buy and wrap. Sometimes we just need a few calm moments in the midst of all the holiday fun. Because let’s be honest, as much as we love the specialness that Christmastime brings it can be utterly exhausting.
Planning dinners for each night can be a daunting task atop of a fully loaded holiday schedule. To give you a break I’ve got a great recipe that will feed my large family for days with little effort. It’s easy, filling, and delicious too! You can prepare it early in the day in your Crockpot and it’s ready to go by dinnertime. This time saving recipe will give you more time with your family. It will leave you with enough energy to do those special advent activities with your kiddos. And you will have the energy for quiet prayer time to relax and refocus before falling into bed at the end of a fun filled day.
Make sure during all the fun and memory making to take a moment to remember the reason for the season, the birth of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. As busy mamas we don’t want to be so over-scheduled and exhausted with holiday fun that we have no energy left for what’s important in this season. Isaiah 40:31 says “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles: they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Take time each day and put Christ first in this busy season. It will lift you up and give you the strength and energy you need to not grow weary this time of year.
Mark 6:31 says “Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said, ‘come with me by yourselves, to a quiet place and get some rest.’” Find rest in Christ daily this season. It will result in a joy filled and Christ centered Christmas. Also, give yourself grace and simplify where you can. Try this quick and easy dinner that allows you more time and energy to focus on what is important. Have a Merry Christmas.
Easy Meal Day 1 : Print Recipes Here!
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
2-4 pounds chicken breasts
1/3 c. homemade taco seasoning or just one store bought package
1 can chopped green chiles
- Add all ingredients to your crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- With two forks shred your chicken and mix in with all the yummy juices. Add to tortillas add your favorite taco toppings.
Note: This makes a Lot of Chicken so you will use your leftovers for Day Two recipe. Simply freeze the leftovers and use them the next time you need a quick and easy meal!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
(1 c.) ¼ c. chili powder
(2 tbsp.) 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
(2 tbsp.) 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
(4 tsp.) 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes ( I add less because this can make it a little spicy for the kids, so keep that in mind)
(2 tbsp.) 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
(2 tbsp.) 1 ½ tsp. paprika
(4tbsp.) 1 tbsp. cumin
(4tbsp.) 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
(4 tsp.) 1 tsp. black pepper
- In a bowl mix all ingredients together until completely incorporated.
- Store in a mason jar or airtight container.
Note: Measurements in red are a 4x batch quantity.
Easy Meal Day 2: Use your Leftover frozen Shredded Taco Chicken. Simply thaw the chicken out in the fridge the night before and have it ready to use in this recipe! Super easy!
Layered Chicken Taco Casserole
Approximately 2 cups of shredded taco chicken
2 cans kidney bean, drained or 2-3 cups homemade cooked beans
8 oz. shredded Mexican blend, or your favorite, cheese
16 oz. jar of your favorite salsa
20 ct. pkg. corn tortilla chips
- Spray your crockpot with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Spread a couple spoonsful of salsa on bottom of crockpot.
- Next layer 3 corn tortillas on top of the salsa. (hint: place two tortillas on each end then tear the third tortilla in half and fill in the empty gaps filling the spaces to complete the layer).
- Spread a couple spoonsful of salsa evenly over the tortilla.
- Next, spread a couple spoonsful of beans evenly on top of tortilla. Repeat with chicken, then sprinkle a small handful of cheese on top.
- Repeat layers until all the beans and chicken are used up.
- On the top, add a final layer of tortilla with just salsa and cheese on top.
- Cook on low in your crockpot for 2-4 hours and top with your favorite toppings: salsa, sour cream, green onion, etc.
First add your salsa and spread evenly.
Next, add your corn tortillas.
Layer more salsa, and beans….
then your leftover shredded taco chicken….
and finally cheese. Then repeat!! Set on low for 2-4 hours and dinner is ready!! Yummmm!