“Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet,but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head,but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Luke 7:44-47
“At the cross, at the cross, I surrendered my life. I’m in awe of you. I’m in awe of you. Where your love ran red, and my sin washed white. I owe all to you. I owe all to you, Jesus.” – Chris Tomlin, At the Cross
- Call your prayer partner for your 10-Minute Prayer Call! Never underestimate the power of praying with a friend.
- Come away with your precious Savior and friend, Jesus! He loves you more than you could ever know and gave all He had for you to be able to live a new life. Pray and ask God to speak to your open heart and whisper to you about His great love for you, his daughter!
- Read Luke 7:36-50. Write verse 47 in your journal.
The Sinner who Became a Saint
Oh, Jesus. My Jesus. You are the Savior of the world. You came to forgive us our darkest sins and heal our painful, broken places.
Where, oh where would we be without our Jesus?
Today’s Bible reading features a precious, broken woman who weeps at the feet of Jesus.
Can you relate to this “sinful woman?” I know I can.
Just like the woman in the story, I am a woman who, before Jesus rescued me “from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us (me) into the Kingdom of his dear Son,” had led a sinful life. There is absolutely no comparison between who I was back then and who I am today.
I am completely unqualified to be teaching you about God. I was a woman who you probably would have seen out in public and thought, “ Wow, she is really lost.” You probably would have whispered a prayer for me to come to Jesus, and for Him to somehow save my lost and weary soul.
As with most of us who were completely lost before Christ, there is a painful story to tell.
My story starts with me as a young girl. I was a child from a broken home who was taken by an unknown neighbor to Vacation Bible School. I still remember it all so vividly- the snow cone maker, a flannel board used by the teacher to tell me about the love of Christ, and walking down the church aisle to give my heart to Jesus.
Then my parents divorced, and I felt lost, again.
A few years later, I remember going to a church camp by myself and giving my heart to Jesus, again. I learned how to underline verses in my Bible that meant a lot to me. This habit carried over into my adult life and helps me to remember the words of God that touch my heart.
Then the dark years began. Between the ages of 16-23, I tried to commit suicide, lost my mom, and entered into the party scene. These years were the darkest, saddest years of my life. I felt as if I had nothing to live for.
Then, by the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ, the story takes a turn for the better.
Enter Evangelist Daniel Gage and his wife, Darlene, who owned a hair salon in Friendswood, Texas. I was hired as an assistant hairdresser to Darlene. Each day as I listened to her Christian clients talk about their husbands, children, Bible studies, churches, and lives, I could hardly believe my ears! Their lives sounded SO different from mine. I wanted what they had! I just didn’t know how on earth to get it!
Then God sent me Melissa Lain, a fellow hairdresser at the salon who offered to take me to the Margaret Becker/Imperials concert. It was then that I REALLY gave my life to Jesus! I started my journey learning about Jesus and how much He loved me. What a gift!
Every other week, at this wonderful salon, I would get my nails done by Darlene’s mom, Lena. She would tell me more about the life of Jesus, and how to know Him better by reading my Bible. I am so thankful for my time with Lena.
What wonderful, life-changing encounters God provided for me with each of these Christ-Followers who took their jobs as His ambassadors seriously! Never doubt the eternal impact of faithfully loving “the least of these” whom God providentially placed around you in your world!
Because of the love of Christ and His faithful followers, I am forever changed! Knowing Jesus and His transforming love caused me to turn my life completely around!
When I am in church worshipping, I often cry. I feel overwhelmed at times by the love of God and it leads me to tears. Just like the woman in our story today cried, I cry.
The difference now is that I am no longer the weeping “sinner” crying at the feet of Jesus, I am a saint who weeps because I now know my true identity. (1 Corinthians 1:2 NASB)
I am God’s child. (Galatians 3:26)
I am holy and dearly loved. (Colossians 3:12)
I am forgiven and free from condemnation. (Romans 8:1-2)
I know the transforming power of the cross. (1 Corinthians 1:18)
I cry because I know how God has changed my life, and I want to do all I can to tell others the GREAT news about the transforming love of God! (1 Peter 3:15)
My prayer for you, dear Sister, is for you to know how deeply you are accepted and loved by God. For those of us who have given our lives to Christ, we are new. The old has gone, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5:17) You are no longer the same person you were before!
You are free to live life as God’s daughter, in a white dress made for you by the King of Kings! You are clean! You are new!
Walk in the newness of the life that Jesus has for you! May the Lord bless you and shower you with His pure love!
Questions to Ponder
- What part of Deb’s story do you most identify with?
- Which aspect of your new identity in Christ do you most need to be reminded of today? I am God’s child. (Galatians 3:26), I am holy and dearly loved. (Colossians 3:12 I am forgiven and free from condemnation. (Romans 8:1-2), I know the transforming power of the cross. (1 Corinthians 1:18)
- How has your life changed since becoming a Christ- Follower?
- Ask God to show you how He sees you. For example, God showed me through a dear sister-friend that He sees me in a white dress. I no longer carry the guilt and shame of my life before Christ. God made me new in every way!
Faith- Filled Idea
- Write how God sees you on three sticky notes. Keep one at your kitchen sink, one on your bathroom mirror and one in your car.
- For example, I would write, “You are in the white dress Deb, forgiven and free!” Use this to remind yourself of the truth of who you are, and your new life in Christ!
PS- Here is a beautiful song depicting our beautiful new life because of the amazing love of Christ!
Join the Community! Answer today’s question in the comment box so we can all get to know one another! We at the HCFM are praying for our online community to build relationships, even if they are across the country or the world!
-How has the love of God changed your life?[/box]
If there was one thing Deb would love to share with you is that God is personal and loves you as you are. You don’t have to be perfect to be loved by our amazing God! Come as you are! His loving presence can be practically known and experienced. He is not a God who is far away, He is dearly near and easily found. He longs for you to come to Him!
Latest posts by Deb Weakly (see all)
- Join us for our new fall Bible Study, “The Wise Woman Abides” - August 11, 2018
- Join Us For Our NEW Fall Study, “The Wise Woman Abides!” - August 10, 2018
- Friends, God’s love is EVERYTHING! - August 10, 2018