Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. – Marianne Williamson
Every day…every moment of every day…we get to choose to be SELF-propelled or GOD-propelled. We can live solely on our own limited energy and wisdom…or tap into God’s LIMITLESS energy and wisdom.
As Christ-followers, we get access to the unlimited power of God! The SOURCE of wisdom and all good things.
- Limited focus, energy, and strength.
- Short-tempered and impatient.
- Harsh words and quick to anger.
- Fear-based decisions.
God-propelled looks like:
God propelled looks like what the Bible calls the fruit of the Spirit. It means going about our day with LOVE, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self -control.
We can’t control what happens throughout the day:
- Our kids will keep us up at night,
- The baby will have a blow out at an inconvenient time and place,
- Our kids will fight and make messes.
- We will have a disagreement with our spouse.
- Someone will say something that hurts our feelings.
We can’t control what happens, but we can control our response to what happens!
Tapping into the power source allows us to keep our joy in the midst of difficult circumstances.
Each day, each hour, each minute is an opportunity to choose either “Self-propelled” or “God-propelled.”
How do you stay God-propelled?
For ME, it means that I’m talking to my Father God throughout the day.
I usually start the day with a prayer before I get out of bed. I say the words, “Come Holy Spirit…fill me today! Fill my home with your presence.”
Or a prayer as simple as “HELP!”
I love this verse:
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5
I ask for wisdom THROUGHOUT the day. Why not? The scripture encourages us to do that!!!
If you are not sure HOW to pray but want to pray more, I love the “Power of a Praying Parent’ book. Each chapter contains a different topic and a prayer. It also includes Scripture verses regarding that topic.
Also, I spend time reading (or listening to) God’s word for wisdom and insight.
Living “God-propelled” means that:
- If I’m tired, I ask God for strength.
- If I’m feeling angry, I ask for help and/or patience.
- If I need to have a tough conversation, I ask God for wisdom and clarity.
- It means I pray for people as they come up in my mind.
- It means stopping to pray with my kids when they have a concern or when they get hurt.
- It means pointing out where I see God throughout the day. Do you notice a beautiful flower, bird, sunset? An answered prayer? Talk about it and thank God for it.
- It means asking my kids, husband, or someone else to forgive me when I mess up.
- It means keeping a heart of thankfulness. “Thank you for food to feed my children.” “Thank you for a washing machine.” “Thank you for eyes to see my child play and ears to hear their laughter.”
- It’s means open communication with God throughout the day.
Do I do ALL these things every single day? No. Am I self-propelled at times? Absolutely. I have to choose every day, each hour, and minute-by-minute, to be God-propelled and not self-propelled!
I encourage you to try ONE thing from the “God-propelled” list above and do it today.
Each day brings a new opportunity to give Him thanks and invite him to empower us.
Being a parent is challenging. Marriage can be challenging. However, we DON’T have to do it in our own strength. Rely on God to make you the wife and parent He wants you to be…Give HIM your weaknesses and burdens and let Him carry those for you and then go about your day in peace and joy!
When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you. So I am very happy to brag about my weakness. Then Christ’s power can live in me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
If you have prayer requests … leave a comment. I want to pray for you.
Important Note: I am NOT a parenting/marriage expert. I am a guinea pig and mess up every single day (you can ask my husband and children). I’m on this journey right along with you. When I write to encourage you, I’m encouraging myself. When I teach you something, it’s NOT because I’ve mastered the topic but because it is what I’m learning. Thanks for joining me in the journey. Leave a comment and let me learn from you too!
Let me leave you with this:
May the God of hope fill you with all JOY and PEACE as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with HOPE by the POWER of the Holy Spirit! Romans 15:13
Kathryn Egly and the Help Club for Moms