Wow! We are at the end of the summer and this wonderful Wise Woman Stays summer study! I hope it has refreshed you and inspired you to be an amazing mama and an intentional daughter of the King. I say it’s time to celebrate! What better way than with an impressive ice cream cake! This recipe is a piece of cake too! Sorry for the pun, but seriously, like its name, it is certain to impress. Why not gather your family and friends to celebrate all that this summer has meant to you? Use the time to reminisce about all the fun you’ve had while savoring yummy ice cream. Celebrate all that God has sewn in your hearts and any special memories added to your arsenal of praise these past few months. A praise party for the end of summer will certainly help culminate the season and start off the oncoming school year just right!
Impressive Ice Cream Cake
By: Rae-Ellen Sanders
12 ice cream sandwiches, unwrapped but still frozen
1 large container (16 oz.) of frozen whipped topping,
1 cup of coarsely chopped chocolate sandwich cookies,
about 10-12 cookies
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1⁄2 cup milk
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 chocolate candy bar or sprinkles
- Chop the sandwich cookies with food chopper/blender or simply by placing in a zipper bag and having a good stress-relieving squeeze. (You didn’t realize this was going to be therapeutic, did you? There is even a reward for all of your hard work at the end. Now that is good!)
- Squeeze chocolate syrup into cookie crumbles; add more if you like. Mix well, creating a thick paste. (This reminds me of the ice cream cakes I had while growing up on the East Coast. How many of you have had the pleasure of delighting in a Carvel ice cream cake? Sigh!)
- Set aside and make the concentrated pudding mix by adding dry package ingredients to milk and whisking together—consistency will be thick. Combine half of the whipped topping with the milk and pudding mixture until well-blended.
- Layer 6 ice cream sandwiches on a plate side-by-side, forming a rectangle. Now, spread all that chopped cookie goodness in a layer on top of the ice cream sandwiches. Top with pudding/whipped topping mixture.
- Place remaining 6 ice cream sandwiches on top.
- Apply leftover whipped topping to the top and sides of cake with a spatula or a spreader. Don’t worry about perfection here. Freeze for 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Holding the unwrapped chocolate bar, take a cheese knife and slice chocolate in thin shavings on the short side. If done correctly, the chocolate will curl. Spread the curls on top, creating a very gourmet confection. Voila!
At our house, we have changed this up and used blondie ice cream sandwiches, vanilla sandwich cookies, vanilla pudding, and strawberry cheesecake ice cream—it is delicious. Mix it up and be creative. You can’t go wrong, and you just might not bake a cake in the summer ever again! Thank goodness too, because who wants to be laboring over an oven in 80-degree weather?! There is always a reason to celebrate!