“For I proclaim the name of the Lord: ascribe greatness to our God. He is the Rock, His work is perfect; for all His ways are justice, a God of truth and without injustice; righteous and upright is He.” Deuteronomy 32:3-4 (NKJV)
Jesus is The Rock!
Ah, summertime! How many of you have gone on cross-country road trips with your families to see the Grand Canyon or to Mount Rushmore? These rock formations and monuments are major tourist destinations that are created by amazing sculpting talent—the very hand of God. So many places around our world draw attention to big rocks: Stonehenge, Ayers Rock, Bryce Canyon, El Capitan, Fingal’s Cave, Half Dome, Independence Rock, Balancing Rock (this one is in my hometown), and even Plymouth Rock, to name just a few.
These rocks are impressive! They are solid and can’t be moved! God’s Word repeatedly says that He is the rock and indeed there is none other. Grab your Bible and be prepared to look up and write down the following verses in your journal: 1 Samuel 2:2, 2 Samuel 22:2, 2 Samuel 22:32, 2 Samuel 22:47.
As wise women, we need to stay built upon the Rock. Meditating on the previous verses will fill you with wonder at our powerful Papa God. The parallel between rocks and our Heavenly Father can be found throughout Scripture. A word search for “rock” on Bible Gateway really opened my eyes to the significance of this title! Below you will find additional verses on God being the Rock:
Deuteronomy 32:18 – the one who begot you
Deuteronomy 32:37 – is your refuge
Judges 6:21 – a consuming fire
Psalm 18:2 – fortress, deliverer, stronghold
Psalm 27:5 – lifter of your soul
Psalm 31:2 – fortress of defense
Psalm 31:3 – leads and guides
Psalm 40:2 – sure foundation, establishes steps
Psalm 61:2 – comforter
Psalm 62:2 – your defense
Psalm 62:7 – salvation, glory, and strength
Psalm 71:1 – your trust
Psalm 71:3 – fortress
Psalm 78:35 – most high God, redeemer
Psalm 81:16 – satisfies
Psalm 89:26 – Father, God, salvation
Psalm 92:15 – upright, righteous
Psalm 94:22 – defense, refuge
Psalm 95:1 – salvation
Isaiah 17:10 – stronghold
Isaiah 28:16 – cornerstone, sure foundation
Isaiah 44:8 – no other!
Isaiah 48:21 – your provision
1 Corinthians 10:4 – the rock is Christ!
Blessings and Love,
- After reading the verses listed above, I feel assured that my feet are firm when I stand on the Rock. What promises! What a great place of security!
- In Matthew 7:24-27 (NKJV) we read the words of Jesus: “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, and it fell. And great was its fall.”
- Also in Luke 6:48 (NKJV), “He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.”
- Jesus is the rock! We are to build our lives on Him! We need to be wise and make every opportunity to stay grounded in His Word so that we will have a firm foundation on which to stand.
This is “heavy,” huh? Sorry to be so punny. Take that road trip, and when in awe of God’s creation, reflect on the Almighty Creator! Take a nature walk with your kids and talk about rocks and God’s imageries. Homeschool moms, use geology to talk about how mighty God is and how He is all of the characteristics listed in Scripture. Next time you’re at a lake, skip rocks and ponder the awesomeness of our God. Take the next few minutes to meditate on Psalm 31:1-4, and then end your time of Bible study with singing! I love the old hymn “The Solid Rock.”
“The Solid Rock”
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand—
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found,
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
In her lifetime, she traveled the world exercising gifts of hospitality and a passion for missions. She now lives in the beautiful state of Colorado with her beloved husband Brian & busy crew.
She loves to be creative with cooking and meets friends for coffee. Rae-Ellen says,"My sweetest coffee dates are with Jesus!"
Latest posts by Rae-Ellen Sanders (see all)
- Cinnamon Overnight Bread Pudding With Cream Cheese Syrup - December 5, 2018
- Mom To Mom: Rae-Ellen - November 20, 2018
- Make the Most of Your Time With Your Kids! - November 15, 2018