I just love salsa, and particularly in the summer! I am not talking about the kind you eat with chips, although I enjoy plenty of that during football season. I am talking about fruit salsa—sweet and tangy, and even sometimes with a little heat! Fruit salsa is perfect any time of year, but especially during the summer!
Allow me to share the most awesome salsa sundaes you will ever have! These are so easy that everyone reading this recipe can make them!
STRAWBERRY MANGO SALSA SUNDAES
By: Rae-Ellen Sanders
2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
2 ripe mangoes (I use the frozen chunks from
1 tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed is
12 burrito-sized soft white corn tortillas
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Strawberry syrup in a squeezable container
3 cups vanilla ice cream (at least) but more is
always necessary for seconds!
1. In a large bowl, hull and chop strawberries and mangoes. If using frozen mango chunks, defrost before chopping. If using fresh mangoes, peel before chopping.
2. Add freshly squeezed lime or 1 tbsp of bottled lime juice to fruit. Mix these ingredients together to allow flavors to marry. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Slice tortillas down the center, making 24 semi-circles.
4.Using pastry brush, brush melted butter on top. Combine cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle the mixture liberally on both sides of the tortillas. If you end up needing more cinnamon sugar, repeat the process. I like them extra sugary!
5. Taking corners of tortilla, twist the tortilla into a cone shape, and press it into the cupcake/muffin pan. Corners should be resting outside the cup in a star shape.
6.Bake for 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
7. Remove from oven, and allow to cool on metal rack. Can you imagine that chunky sweetness with just a bit of tang spooned over vanilla ice cream? You are almost there!
8.When the tortillas are cool (and hardened), place on a plate. Add one scoop of your favorite ice cream, drizzle the
strawberry syrup so that it runs down the sides, and finally (you guessed it), add your strawberry mango salsa on top
for a refreshing treat!
Nothing is better in summertime than meat fresh off the grill, and when it is topped with fresh summer fruit
& herbs—yum! As a bonus, below is my mango salsa recipe that is perfect for grilled meats and fish!
MANGO SALSA FOR FISH OR CHICKEN
By: Rae-Ellen Sanders
1 to 2 large pitted and chopped mangoes
1 small red onion or half of a large one
1 lime – squeezed
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Combine chopped mango and onion, cilantro, cayenne pepper, and the juice from a squeezed lime.
2. Stir and refrigerate until ready to spread on top of your protein of choice.
In her lifetime, she traveled the world exercising gifts of hospitality and a passion for missions. She now lives in the beautiful state of Colorado with her beloved husband Brian & busy crew.
She loves to be creative with cooking and meets friends for coffee. Rae-Ellen says,"My sweetest coffee dates are with Jesus!"
Latest posts by Rae-Ellen Sanders (see all)
- Cinnamon Overnight Bread Pudding With Cream Cheese Syrup - December 5, 2018
- Mom To Mom: Rae-Ellen - November 20, 2018
- Make the Most of Your Time With Your Kids! - November 15, 2018