“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” – Deuteronomy 6:4-7
Do you struggle to find time to intentionally share Jesus with your kids? Let me tell you a little secret about what works in our house: Food. My kids are a captive audience any time they are eating! During mealtime they happily soak up the Bible, kids devotions, and hymn stories. They will readily recite Bible passages, sing praises to Jesus, think of things they are thankful for, pray fervently, and listen to stories about great Christian men and women.
I keep a basket of books by our table so I have everything I need at my fingertips (we call it our morning time basket, but choose a meal that works for you if mornings are too busy). This is an easy habit, and I can tell it’s making an impact on their little hearts and lives. Maybe this is a fun habit for you to try this summer!
Some of our favorite morning time books are listed here. Your local library or thriftbooks.com are great resources for cheap or free books!
• The Jesus Storybook Bible – Sally Lloyd Jones
• Answers In Genesis Answer Books for Kids set – Ken Ham
• Leading Little Ones to God – Marian Schoolland
• My Big Book of Five Minute Devotions – Pamela Kennedy
• The Action Bible – Doug Mauss
• Hero Tales – Dave and Neta Jackson
• The Child’s Story Bible – Catherine Vos
• Dusty’s Beary Tales – Ruthann Winans
• Hymns For a Kid’s Heart – Joni Eareckson Tada
• Kingdom Tales – David and Karen Mains
• Case For Faith For Kids – Lee Strobel
• Big Thoughts for Little People – Kenneth Taylor
I am the wife of a handsome man and the mama of two little boys (with a third one on the way this summer!). I live in a little house in the woods of Colorado with a few chickens and a lot of little-boy-craziness. I love you though I’ve never met you, and I’m praying for you often. My life, like yours, isn’t perfect, but we are both perfectly loved by our Savior!