“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21
“The Word of God is a treasure map. That treasure map is the most valuable thing to you until you get to that treasure.” Eric Ludy
- Grab a cup of coffee and head to a space in your home that is quiet. Pray and ask God to open your heart to what He wants you to take away from today’s study. Pray for wisdom and discernment while studying God’s Word today.
- Open your Bible and read Genesis 1:1-2:3. Read the story of creation and meditate on the greatness of God.
The Map Leading to Everlasting Treasure
Have you ever wondered why there is such a fascination with treasure maps? Children love to draw them and then go out in the backyard and hunt for treasure. Often, the treasure is something funny like a Barbie shoe or an old and broken kitchen utensil. But to the child who finds the treasure, that item that we look at as garbage is as precious as rubies.
We have also been given a gift, a treasure so-to-speak: eternal life through the blood of Jesus Christ. It is a gift that is given freely, with nothing asked from us in return.
John 16:33 tells us, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” Do you feel like life is too hard? I encourage you to lean into Jesus Christ and trust in Him fully.
Have you decided to walk with Jesus in this life on earth? The Word of God is our treasure map for our ultimate treasure of Jesus Christ and Heaven. I urge you to take your time with this study and really meditate on the Word of God.
Here is a map to help on your path to the Kingdom of Heaven:
The Roman Road
The Roman Road is a compilation of verses out of the book of Romans that provide a detailed map for our salvation and eternal fellowship with our Lord. All we have to do is follow the steps, or “clues.”
- Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Dear sister, we are all sinners. We have all done things that are displeasing to God.
- Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” The punishment we have earned for our sin is not just physical death but also spiritual death. Spiritual death is separation from God. God and sin cannot coexist.
- Romans 5:8 says “But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Here is where we are offered eternal life with God. Romans 6:23 states, “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Dear sister, this is a gift given freely asking nothing in return.
- Romans 10:9 says, “If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Jesus died to pay the penalty for our sins and rescue us from eternal damnation. All you do is trust in Him as your Lord and Savior.
- Romans 5:1 says, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” We are now blessed with a relationship of peace with the Lord. What a gift!
Like any map, the Roman Road shows you a path or a way to get somewhere. Dear sister, are you ready to receive the gift of salvation that God so desperately wants you to accept?
Only faith in Jesus Christ can provide salvation. I pray that you open your heart to the love God has for you today. Romans 10:13 tells us, “for whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
To receive Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, pray this prayer:
“Lord Jesus, I’m like everyone else—I can’t make it through life on my own. I’m imperfect. I’m prone to sin. I have come to realize that there’s nothing in the world I can do to make myself acceptable to You. But I know that You have loved me so much that You were willing to submit to the cross and die on my behalf. That is a grace so amazing I cannot understand it; I can only accept it. And I do. I accept Your free gift, and I know that from this moment on, I am saved. I am a child of God. And I give the rest of my life to serving You and experiencing the joy that only You can offer. Fill me now, dear Lord, and raise me to walk in the newness of life. I thank You and praise You! Amen.”
If you just prayed and welcomed Jesus Christ into your heart, let me be the first to say congratulations! We are so happy to have another sister united in Christ with us today. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know of your very important and eternity- changing decision. We would love to hear from you!
It is important as a new Christian, and seasoned Christian, to get plugged into a body of believers. Seek out a local church to start attending and get involved. We are called as believers to fellowship with one another.
Blessings and Love,
Questions to Ponder
- Are you already saved? Praise Jesus! I encourage you to pray for the opportunity to lead someone down the Roman Road. Ask the Lord to open the door for opportunities to share your testimony and to give you courage when the time comes. Remember, the best way to share Jesus with someone is to be a friend and create a relationship with that person. Post your experience on the website or our Facebook page.
A great way to help your children continue to learn to trust in the Lord is to create prayer cards or notebooks. Get some spiral bound 3×5 cards for each of your children. Have them write out their prayer requests/praises on the cards. If they are still small, have them draw pictures. Once a month, go over the cards as a family and talk about how the Lord has answered the prayer requests or talk about the importance of waiting on the Lord. It will help your children’s faith grow, and they will learn to turn to God first.
Leslie has known Jesus almost as long as she has known her husband.
She loves Jesus, her husband, her two daughters, coffee and her dachshund Oscar Myer.
Her favorite bible verse is 2 Corinthians 4:8 "We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed or broken. We do not give up and quit."