“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NASB)
5 Spiritual Anchors For Moms
“Motherhood takes…the strength of Samson, the wisdom of Solomon, the patience of Job, the faith of Abraham, the insight of Daniel and the courage of David!” Unknown
Do you ever wonder if you can weather the storms of motherhood and still be okay when you come out on the other end? Me too!
I have seven children who are older now, and my youngest has reached the age of almost 8 years. Baby-land and toddler-hood are a thing of the past, yet I believe my job as mother will continue until I take my last breath. As I look back on the “hurricane season” (what I call early motherhood) and enjoy my life presently while I fix my eyes on what lies ahead, there are a few Scriptures I recognize that have helped and still help keep me grounded. I want to share them with you. I cling to these foundational Scriptures with all that I am because my calling and well-being depend on it. I cannot imagine life without them.
With God’s help, we can fight the good fight of mom-hood, and we can win!
As you read and meditate on the truths from God’s Word (below), I pray they bring joy and hope to your spirit, soul, and body. We can find everything we will ever need as moms somewhere in God’s Word. Take hope and heart!
- The Holy Spirit is my teacher. Have you asked the Holy Spirit to come into your inner-most being, to fill you? We need the Spirit of Jesus to teach us how to mother our children, to raise them in righteousness. The impossibility of the job begs us to cry out! It would be cruel for God not to provide a teacher for us when we need one, which is basically 24/7. Our answer lies in Him. John 14:26 (NKJV) reads: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things…” Listen! Nothing too small or too large in our mom world takes God by surprise—not the kids fighting and arguing until we can’t stand it anymore, the baby fussing relentlessly, us getting no sleep at night, or our teenager being stuck in a sticky dating relationship. He already knows everything. Catch this: the most up-to-date and relevant teaching we will ever find lies at our fingertips. God wants to fill and help instruct us, and He exceeds state-of-the-art standards to beat. He teaches any willing heart freely! Just ask.
- I can do all things. Notice I didn’t say “God can do all things.” Although this is true, God fully equips and gives us the power to overcome any obstacle we face through His Spirit. This stands true for every mom who has asked the Holy Spirit to dwell inside of her. I never, ever thought it possible to be a mom of seven children, yet here I am. The Holy Spirit gives me strength. When Jesus comes to dwell in us, we become yoked with Him, and everything becomes possible! Philippians 4:13 (NKJV) says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” This truth takes faith. Only believe!
- God sees me; He knows my name: Every mom on this earth has a desire to be known, especially by God! The silent and difficult road of motherhood we climb daily with our children, though often filled with unspeakable joy, can threaten to undo us. We can find solace in the Gospel of John, chapter 10 verse 14: The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name…I am the good shepherd and know my sheep. Mom, Jesus notices, appreciates, and understands every obstacle you face. Notice: He is the Good Shepherd with a capital “S.” Good Shepherds rescue vulnerable sheep in trouble, and Jesus does this perfectly and beautifully. How comforting that He sees and knows His own sheep by name, even you.
- This too shall pass. With time as our friend, it goes slowly enough for us to prove to our children we love them, yet quickly enough to keep us on our toes! Ecclesiastes 3:1 (NASB) says, “There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven.” Here’s the mom-hood scope: In your very near future (believe me, sooner than you think), a time will come when your kids will no longer be solely dependent on you. They eventually reach adulthood. Glory Hallelujah! You will still have the name “mom,” but your role will change to mentor and friend. There is a time for everything. In regard to the challenging role we sometimes have to fulfill right now, know “this too shall pass.”
- I reap what I sow. Galatians 6:7 (NLT) says, “Don’t be misled—you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant.” I find this very convicting! Whatever I hand out to my children today, they willingly give back in return later. Kindness reaps kindness. Anger reaps anger. Love reaps love. Selfishness reaps selfishness. Joy reaps joy. I get to choose what I glean in the future. Value this truth of reaping. The more time we spend with Jesus, talking to Him, reading His Word, involving Him in our everyday lives, the more the Holy Spirit’s fruit will pour out of us! We cannot produce good qualities unless we surrender everything to Him. We need to die daily, lay our lives down at His feet, and obey Him instead of our flesh. We most definitely reap what we sow.
Blessings and Love,
Let Jesus take the position of “BFF” (Best Friend Forever) in your life. He finds and takes us to good places in motherhood. He never gives the wrong advice but gently leads those with young (Isaiah 40:11).
Memorize these five Scriptures. Write them on sticky notes and place them where you will frequently notice them, such as the kitchen sink, bathroom mirror, or in your car. Here are the Scriptures:
• John 14:26 • Philippians 4:13 • John 10:14 • Ecclesiastes 3:1 • Galatians 6:7
Look them up in your favorite translation and let them stabilize you, like pegs you can hold onto when life gets hard.
Mari Jo had an encounter with the living God in 2000, and was freed from the bondage of legalism. She is passionate about Jesus and his love, and desires for everyone to know He is alive!