“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
Give Your Children the Gift of God’s Word
Mamas, we have such an important task before us in impressing God’s Word on the hearts of our precious children. Praise the Lord that we are not alone! He is there to guide us, and He graciously gives us practical instruction on how to lovingly inspire our children to follow Him.
First, God tells us that His commandments are to be on our hearts as mamas. (Deuteronomy 6:6) We must spend time daily in the Bible ourselves! We are not able to impart something to our children that we do not know. We must know God’s words as intimately as we know our own thoughts. (Joshua 1:8-9) Through our closeness with His Word, we are able to speak wisdom to our children in a manner that will personally reach their heart as they have questions about God and His ways.
Secondly, God tells us that we are to talk about His Word when we “sit at home and walk along the road, when [we] lie down and when [we] get up.” (Deuteronomy 6:7) Discussing things of the Lord, praising Him, and seeking Him are to be daily rhythms in our homes. This rhythm must first start with reading God’s Word to our children. Sweet friend, do not neglect this step because your children are too young, you find the Bible confusing, or your family is busy. God will provide the time and understanding you need! (James 4:8)
From there, use your creativity! Notice and thank God with your children for His small blessings. Sing songs together to memorize the books of the Bible or scripture verses. Pray with your children for the hurts, cares, and celebrations in their daily lives. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) Talk to them about their thoughts on passages or stories you have read. Be intentional each day about sharing God in a way that connects with the hearts of your children. You are building their foundation for a dynamic, lifetime relationship with Him! (Proverbs 22:6)
As your children grow and begin to read God’s Word on their own, it is very important for them to understand the layout of the Bible. It is a huge book and can be overwhelming! Memorizing the books of the Bible together can be so helpful in preparing them, and what better way to do this than through music!
Pick up a copy of the Wee Sing Bible Songs CD, or order just the Old and New Testament songs on iTunes. These two catchy songs are a fantastic way to commit to memory the books of the Bible and will remain with your children for a lifetime!
To take it one step further, play a fun game with your children! Simply write all of the books of either the Old or New Testament on index cards. As the song plays, take turns laying out the cards on the floor in the correct order. Challenge yourselves to keep up with the music!
If you are anything like me, you like to see what has worked for other mamas! Here is a list of Help Club recommendations to encourage you on this path of sharing Christ daily with your sweet children.
– Wee Sing Bible Songs
– The Action Bible by Doug Mauss (great for children who like comic books) https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bible-Doug-Mauss/dp/0781444993/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472120335&sr=1-1&keywords=the+action+bible
– The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones (great for birth – 6-year-olds)https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Every-Whispers/dp/0310708257/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471976506&sr=1-1&keywords=jesus+storybook+bibl
– Child’s Story Bible by Catherine Vos (great for 4-12-year-olds) https://www.amazon.com/Childs-Story-Bible-Catherine-Vos/dp/0802850111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472120548&sr=1-1&keywords=catherine+vos
– Seeds Family Worship CD’s (fantastic Scripture memory) http://www.seedsfamilyworship.com/[box type=”download”]
Join the Community!
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.[/box]
Latest posts by Tara Davis and Deb Weakly (see all)
- Day Three: Give Your Children the Gift of God’s Word - June 4, 2019
- 10 Scriptures to Pray for Your Husband – Printable! - June 28, 2018
- Give Your Children the Gift of God’s Word - August 11, 2017