Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Happy Morning to you, precious Mom! Light a candle, remembering that Jesus is the true light which lights every man. Ask Him to light you, bringing truth and revelation to your heart as you study.
- Read 2 Corinthians 5: 1-21, and write verse 17 in your journal.
God is the Master Builder!
Years ago, life found me in the deep and depressing throes of lonely motherhood. My husband and I had six children ranging from a baby that was only a few months old, to the oldest child being 12. The harsh reality of my many responsibilities as a homeschool mom amidst all the other duties and training of life left me feeling completely overwhelmed and discouraged, almost beyond remedy. There were many mornings I dreaded getting out of my warm, comfortable bed to face the day. I felt that God gave me more than I could handle, and I wanted to throw in the towel.
Around that time in my life, the Lord showed me a picture of my life. I saw a large, beautiful beach with sandcastles by the shore that I understood I had crafted by my own hands. Everything looked so beautiful from the outside, as I continued to admire and marvel at it, but soon something terrible began to happen. I saw big waves coming! No Lord, don’t let it happen, I cried! But it was too late. Before my very eyes, the waves came and destroyed everything I had made. Everything. Not one castle was left, only the bare seashore remained. The knowledge of what I had just witnessed was unbearably painful.
I wept bitterly, asking Jesus how long it would take to rebuild everything, knowing I didn’t have the strength or ability to do it all over again. The castles I had made in this vision were a picture of a self-made me. It included my family, children, husband, parenting beliefs, dreams, hopes, ideals, lies, wrong teaching, all the things in life I held dear…and now everything was destroyed!
It was then that I heard the voice of Jesus whisper to my heart, “How big and how beautiful do you want your house to be?” I knew in my deepest being that He wanted to give me a brand new identity, one built on Him and Truth. The castles I had built, as beautiful as they appeared, were only a white-washed shell of man-made traditions and ideals constructed by my own strength and the lies I had believed. These unrealistic ideals of myself and my children and everyone around me were terribly flawed and had brought so much disappointment.
My wrong belief system was not able to withstand the raging storms that plagued my life. I needed a new foundation, a new beginning, and Jesus had to wash it all away. I needed Him to teach me his ways and build again. Yes, Lord.
Jesus wants to create a new and beautiful identity in you, because every part of who you were created to be, can be found in Him.
Our children, grandchildren, husband, friends, job, and material possessions, though all of these are so dear to our heart, none of them should stamp or define who we are. All humans, even those who are the most precious to us will let us down and disappoint us. Everything we own will pass away when we die.
When our life is over, the only thing that will remain is what we have done out of who we are in Christ.
Slowly God began to rebuild my house. He is STILL building, but that is alright with me. Because his ways are eternal, it takes a longer time, but it is worth it all because He does things the right way! I know that He is not looking for my perfection, He’s looking for my surrender and a willing heart to obey.
Jesus wants to make us into a building of God, a house not made with human hands, that will last forever.
Dear friend, if Jesus is rebuilding new foundations in you, take heart. He will make all things new and better, bringing fresh hope in time!
Questions to ponder
- Are there things in your life that God wants to rebuild?
- Are you weary of trying to do things in your own strength, realizing it only brings disappointment? What are those things?
- Let them go. Giving up our faulty foundations for His secure ones, are painful because it means we have to give up our ideals to embrace his truth. Everything God does is perfect and better, and he is willing to teach us as imperfect as we are.
- Ask Jesus to reveal more about himself to you. Maybe most of your house is securely built on him, yet you feel there are a few things that still seem shallow and unsure. Ask him to reveal His truth to solidify those areas and surrender completely to his best.
- Be brave and ask God to knock-out anything in your identity that may be unstable and false. Share with a friend. Don’t be afraid to ask God to reveal and replace lies with truth. Dive in and trust Jesus who is waiting to embrace you with open arms and set you free to be the true YOU!
- If you do not know Jesus yet, today can be your day! Pray and ask the Father to reveal Him to you. If you know a trusted friend who is already a believer, ask her to help you. By reading the Bible, you will get a better understanding of who Jesus is, especially the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. As you follow and search the stories that reveal his character, you will begin to find Him, and He will speak your name with a new purpose! He will show you what you were created for and who you are meant to be! He will write brand new things on your heart, and set you free from all the bondages and lies of your past!
**We at the Help Club For Moms would be thrilled if you would share your new found faith in Jesus with us! We will rejoice with you, encourage you and answer any questions you may have!
Join the Community! Answer today’s questions in the comment box so we can all get to know one another! We at the HCFM are praying for our online community to build relationships, even if they are across the country or the world! 🙂
-When we see ourselves the way God sees us, it allows us to let go of control and fear. What do you feel God is asking you to release into His trustworthy hands?[/box]
Mari Jo had an encounter with the living God in 2000, and was freed from the bondage of legalism. She is passionate about Jesus and his love, and desires for everyone to know He is alive!
Latest posts by Mari Jo Mast (see all)
- Our Words: An Invitation to Peace or the Provoking of War - January 30, 2019
- Mom To Mom: Mari Jo - January 30, 2019
- Mom To Mom: Mari Jo Thanksgiving - November 16, 2018