“And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you.” Matthew 6:30 (NLT)
“The degree to which we worry about provision today is directly related to how much we believe we are loved and valued by our heavenly Father.” Joseph Prince
- Call your prayer partner for your 10-minute prayer call! Never underestimate the power of praying with a friend.
- It’s time to meet with your good and loving Father. You can take a deep breath and relax because His character can be trusted! Close your eyes and invite Him into your space as you prepare to learn more about Him.
- Read Psalm 145. Write verse 9 in your journal.
God’s Goodness— A Foundation of My Faith
Did you know, what you believe about the goodness of God determines your future? Do you believe He is good? Your answer to this last question either establishes your heart in uncertainty or authority. What you perceive about God’s character influences your ability to put your trust and faith in Him.
Here’s the truth: according to God’s Word, His goodness cannot be exaggerated!
In the Old and New Testament, we have many Scriptures supporting and revealing God’s goodness. Nahum 1:7 (NLT) says, “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him.” In the Psalms, David speaks of His goodness over and over. Psalm 100:5 is just one example of many: “For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”
As I was praying and meditating on this topic, God brought the concept of building a house to my mind. We all know and understand, in order to build a trustworthy home, the most important task at hand is to establish a solid foundation. Without it, the structure simply crumbles because there is nothing to support or hold the weight of it. Likewise, God’s goodness is the foundation of our faith. Why would I trust in a God I don’t know to be inherently good? It is impossible. Without true knowledge of God’s character, our base is unstable, and we cannot build properly.
The Word says that Jesus is the cornerstone of our faith. It also says Jesus went about doing good. According to this truth, we can always count on Jesus. He is a solid foundation for our belief system.
I love what Bill Johnson, Senior Pastor of Bethel Church in Redding, California says: “Learn to get a theological cornerstone of God’s goodness so firmly intact that the questions that are unanswered never undermine what you do know about His goodness.”
In life, bad things happen that make us question if God is good. However, when our hearts are deeply rooted in the truth of the Word, which speaks of His goodness, we need not question God’s motives, only trust, in times of deep sorrow or testing. We can then speak to our circumstances about our good God instead of speaking to God about our bad situation!
Understanding who God is at His core brings such hope and comfort. Psalm 27:13 (NLT) says, “I would have lost heart (hope) unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of God in the land of the living.” Those who firmly believe in God’s love, bring hope to others who are struggling—a hope that is contagious and anchored in His goodness.
Blessings and Love,
Questions to Ponder
- What do you believe about God’s character? Write down your thoughts.
- According to Psalm 145 verse 8 and 9, what is God like?
- Do your thoughts about God agree with what His Word says?
God is good even when things go badly. Building a firm foundation on this truth helps you weather the storms when they come. Look up Scriptures of His goodness and memorize them. Let them become the glue holding your belief system together. Speak them out in faith every day. Agree with God’s Word; it doesn’t lie. Below are some suggestions:
- Psalm 145:8-9 (NLT) – The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. The Lord is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation.
- Psalm 86:5 (NLT) – O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help.
- Psalm 34:8 (NLT) – Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him.
- Lamentations 3:25 (NLT) – The Lord is good to those who depend on him, to those who search for him.
- Psalm 27:13 (NLT) – Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.
Mari Jo had an encounter with the living God in 2000, and was freed from the bondage of legalism. She is passionate about Jesus and his love, and desires for everyone to know He is alive!
Latest posts by Mari Jo Mast (see all)
- Our Words: An Invitation to Peace or the Provoking of War - January 30, 2019
- Mom To Mom: Mari Jo - January 30, 2019
- Mom To Mom: Mari Jo Thanksgiving - November 16, 2018