How many of you love to eat vegetables right from the garden? It is such a rewarding and truly tasty experience. Not many of us have the luxury of having a garden or benefiting from farm to table. Thankfully, we have local grocers or farm stands to purchase from. This Heirloom Tomato French Bread Pizza is ripe tomato and basil pesto at its finest. I love the splash of color from the tomatoes and find this is an excellent appetizer during the summer for just about any occasion!
Heirloom Tomato French Bread Pizza
By: Rae-Ellen Sanders
A loaf of French (or Italian) bread—sliced in half lengthwise
A container of heirloom grape tomatoes, sliced
Small jar of basil pesto sauce (6 ounces)
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1⁄4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
A drizzle of olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Pinch red pepper flakes
Heirloom tomatoes make this fun French Bread Pizza a gourmet treat! The different shades pop with color and make this version a seasonal specialty. This is so easy to arrange, especially with prepared pesto. This is a perfect appetizer for any summer event.
- Cut your French/Italian bakery bread lengthwise and place on a baking sheet.
- Spread prepared pesto on top.
- Slice tomatoes in halves or in disc slices, as some tomatoes will vary in size.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a bowl and add one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Spread tomato mixture evenly on top of the pesto.
- Sprinkle a combination of both kinds of cheese on top.
- Drizzle olive oil and then sprinkle red pepper flakes if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.