“But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26
“Trying to do the Lord’s work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.” Corrie Ten Boom
- Grab your favorite cup of tea or coffee, and settle into a comfortable spot to sit before Jesus. Listen to what He wants to say to you. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you today.
What a Blessing to Know the Holy Spirit
As a woman, and especially as a mom, I find that I am in need of constant reliance on the Holy Spirit and all the things He empowers me to be able to do. I take the Scriptures about the Holy Spirit literally and tailor them to my life. That is the only way I can keep my sanity amid the chaos that the world brings our way.
As I share with you about what the Holy Spirit has done for me and how He has helped me, I want to tell you a secret. He longs to do the same for you. So, if you feel burdened by the many hats you wear as a mother, or you feel defeated by your failings, you are not alone. But more importantly, I want to remind you that you have help, in the form of the Holy Spirit.
Let me share with you a couple of the ways the Holy Spirit helps me, and how He can help you too.
- He is my constant reminder. With the many things I do as a mom, I need to constantly rely on my digital reminders, like my phone alarm, to keep me on top of my tasks and to-do list. In the same way, I have also come to rely on the Holy Spirit to bring to my remembrance those things that matter in my life.
It is so easy to focus on certain areas of our lives, especially when we are busy, that we forget or neglect other areas. Think of some of those times when you give so much attention to your children that you forget to spend time with your husband, or when work is so hectic that you find that you neglect spending time with God in prayer. Those are the times when I need the Holy Spirit to be my reminder, because a digital one wouldn’t do the trick at all. The Holy Spirit gives me a nudge and I know to make the necessary adjustments.
- He tells me the way to go. Have you ever found yourself in those times, when you don’t know which way to go, and, after asking others for their counsel, you feel like you are still going around in circles? So many options, all very good, all very godly—which do I pick? Often, I find myself relying on the Spirit of God to help me during those times. He gives me the ability to know, through His leading, His best for me in the different seasons of my life.
It could be the choice of a school for your child, a choice between homeschooling or letting your child go to school outside of the home. The choice may be between spending my limited resources on something, or saving that money now. The decisions we need to make are endless, and we do not need to carry that burden alone. The Holy Spirit wants to help us. The times when we are at such crossroads are the times when we need to remind ourselves that the Holy Spirit has promised to lead us into all truth.
Blessings and Love,
Questions to Ponder
- Think of all the decisions you need to make. In what ways have you allowed yourself to be worried and rely only on your intellect to work through them?
- How can you rely more on the Holy Spirit for His wisdom and guidance?
- What decision looms ahead of you? Make a decision to consciously remember that the Holy Spirit is with you, and you can trust Him to lead you into the truth and show you the things that are to come.
Do a search on some of the ways the Holy Spirit helps us. Personalize some of these things for yourself. One example is John 16:33 (NLT):
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.