As I approached my bed to sleep, a wave of fear swept over me. I knew that when I laid down, negative thoughts would flood my mind.
- What if ____ ? (fill in the blank with the worst case scenario)
Negative, painful, fearful thoughts were weighing me down, making my chest ache. I felt like I was suffocating. I could barely breathe.
I knew I did not have to hold on to these fears. I could do something about this. We aren’t made to house fear and anxiety. We are meant for peace.
I chose to purposely, actively, STOP the bad thoughts filling my mind. I chose to REPLACE those thoughts with prayer and God’s word.
The Bible tells us to:
“Cast ALL your ANXIETY on Him because He CARES for YOU!” I Peter 5:7
I began to pray over my worries and fears. I prayed Psalm 91 for myself and my children: “… With LONG LIFE with I satisfy him…”
Prayer allowed me to cast my anxiety on HIM. I was literally handing my worry and fear to God.
Once I started praying and SPEAKING God’s word and the NAME OF JESUS over my fears, I felt God take the heavy burden off me.
He began to carry the load, the ache, the fears.
I “saw” Him (not literally, but in my mind) take the “backpack,” that was weighing me down, and place it on His shoulder!
Suddenly, I felt lighter as the weight was lifted.
The fears and anxieties were replaced with peace!
I could breathe. I could smile. I could rest.
Friends, give Christ your burdens. Give Him the fear. The anxiety. The negative thoughts. He wants to carry the load for you! Hand it over to Him in prayer.
Take a deep breath.
Exhale the worry, the fear, the anxiety.
Inhale God’s peace, God’s hope, and God’s power.
Take another deep breath.
Focus on and/or speak the name of Jesus as you inhale and exhale.
Here are a few Scriptures that have helped me tremendously. Choose at least one to write out and lay beside your bed. Try to memorize one or two so that you can repeat them when you are feeling anxious or afraid:
- Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (This verse I speak at night with my children. When they are afraid, I ask them to repeat it until the fear is gone)
- Joshua 1:9 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (This verse is sitting on the dresser in my son’s room)
- Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
And remember, there is POWER in the NAME of JESUS. Speak his name. Repeat his name. Imagine yourself curled up in his lap while he fights your battles.
Do you have a favorite scripture, a quote, a book or something that has helped you when you are faced with fears and anxiety? Please share!
Another suggestion is to fall asleep to the sound of music. I love to play the song “Tremble” just before I go to sleep. Click here to listen.
Here’s a prayer to claim for yourself:
Kathryn Egly and the Help Club for Moms