This buttery tart recipe is a great recipe to pass down through the generations. The slow process allows for great conversations while baking and sharing a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Use this baking time to have some intentional discussion and see into the heart of your child.
2 cups of Crisco
2 teaspoons baking powder
5 cups flour
7/8 cup ice-cold water
2 teaspoons white vinegar
Pinch of baking soda
- Mix the Crisco and baking powder until it forms little pea-sized balls.
- Blend the water, egg, vinegar, and baking soda together.
- Add the liquid to the flour mixture and combine. The pastry may be wet, but you will add flour as you roll it out.
- Cut into 4-inch rounds and fit into muffin tin. Refrigerate while preparing filling. Cold pastry in a hot oven is always flakier.
Butter Tart Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Butter Tart Directions:
- Mix the filling ingredients together. Fill tart shells 2/3 full.
- Bake on the bottom rack at 400 degrees for 12-13 minutes. May need 1 minute more.
- Consider adding fun toppings like raisins, pecans, chocolate chips, or other toppings for the last 1 minute of baking.