Fun Christmas Science Projects that Point to Jesus!
- Jesus Gives Living Water
Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive. (John 7:37-39 ESV) We celebrate Jesus’ birth at Christmas because He came to bring us life! When we choose to follow Him, He fills us with Living Water—the Holy Spirit—and we will never be the same again!
- Two balloons
- Candle flame
- Fill a balloon 3⁄4 full with water. Blow air to fill it all the way.
- Blow up the second balloon without water.
- Place the flame of a lit candle on the part of the balloon filled with water and see what happens. As long as you put the flame on the part filled with water, nothing will happen. Water, a great conductor of heat, will not allow the balloon rubber to overheat and be destroyed.
- Now place the flame on the second balloon without water and see what happens. It will pop as the unprotected rubber is destroyed by the flame.
Jesus came to rescue us! He died on the cross to forgive us of our sins, rose from the dead, and later returned back to heaven. He didn’t leave us alone though! He left us the Holy Spirit who is Living Water for our souls. He protects us from the destructive “flames” of the hurts that come from living in this world. Although we may experience bullies at school, friends who hurt our feelings, or unfair situations, we will not be destroyed because our identity and worth is in Christ! He tells you who you are, a child of the living God, not a child of the world! Greater is He who is in you (Jesus) than He who is in the world (1 John 4:4 paraphrase).
2. Candy Canes and Jesus
“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord” (Luke 2:11 KJV). We see candy canes everywhere at Christmastime. These sweet treats were designed to represent the Savior. Check out this little poem to see how, and then grab a couple for a demonstration to teach about how Jesus works in our lives!
Look at the Candy Cane
What do you see?
Stripes that are red
Like the blood shed for me
White is for my Savior
Who’s sinless and pure!
“J” is for Jesus My Lord, that’s for sure!
Turn it around
And a staff you will see
Jesus my shepherd
Was born for Me!
- Lay a candy cane on a white plate or dish filled with room temperature water (enough water to cover about half the height of the candy cane).
- As the minutes tick by, the warm water will dissolve the sugar of the candy cane, and you will see the red food coloring spread across the plate.
When we follow Jesus as our Savior, ask Him to forgive us, and allow Him to fill us with the Living Water of the Holy Spirit, we will begin to spread the love of Christ to everyone around us! Just as in the poem above, the red of the candy cane stands for the blood shed by Christ to forgive our sins. In this experiment, the red of the candy cane soaked in the “living water” can’t help but spread in all directions. When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we will not be able to contain the amazing news of Jesus’ sacrifice for us! Pray that God will fill you with the full measure of His Spirit, and that He will give you opportunities to share about Him and His love to others!
- The Greatest Gift You Can Give to Your Husband: Companion Guide - September 8, 2020
- The Greatest Gift You Can Give to Your Husband: Help Club for Moms Book - September 8, 2020
- Don’t Overlook the Little Things Mama - August 1, 2020