“See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you.” Isaiah 60:2
A Letter to My Teens About Dating
In a world where family, marriage, and genders are on trial, you need to know that our future generations are at stake.
If Hollywood is setting the standard, you can be assured that 50 Shades of Gray and The Bachelorette are ruling your dad and me outdated and your grandparents old-fashioned and boring. What are you looking to as a role model? Is it the new release down the street? Or is it the generation of honor and respect that kept your grandparents in love for 40 years? Yes, ol’ fashioned is unpopular, but you know what? Sometimes it’s ok to rebel against the popular. Here’s to a good start:
- If you fall in love with a girl’s face, your love will fade with her beauty.
- If you fall in love with her soul, your love will grow deeper with age.
- She needs to know you have eyes for her alone and that she is more valuable to you than any other!
- The right one will bring out your best. She will nurture your talents, encourage your exploits, and talk good ol’ common sense when you need it most!
- You should know that a man’s heart is more tender and loyal than you might think.
- Treat him like a king, and he will give you the kingdom! He wants to spoil you: carry your bags, open doors, and pick up the tab. Let him. This is a good sign that he will help you with dirty dishes and a messy house if you marry him. He will want to take risks and be brave. Support him because you trust him!
- Don’t play with his heart by cuddling, kissing, and crying to get your way. This breaks trust and creates disrespect.
- The right man for you will bring out your best! He will lead you spiritually, allow you to pursue your dreams, and hear your heart. Hang on to him.
- Passion is good and of God, don’t bury it. Instead, cultivate it and direct it in righteousness.
- Physical attraction to the opposite sex is normal, natural, and good! Don’t feel guilt or condemnation for a healthy appreciation of beauty or strength. God is an amazing artist and knows how to give good gifts! However, if you feed your natural tendencies with pornography or uncontrolled thoughts of lust, this is where you will derail. The wreckage will cost you more than you want to pay. It’s not worth it!
- You should not expect sex from your dating partner, nor should you even think to ask for it!
- You have what it takes to turn the tide! You can bring back chivalry and honor and enjoy a long, satisfying, and adventurous life!
Your Forever Mom
So often, we parent out of fear or past regret. Release these mistakes to God and trust Him to do immeasurably more than all you ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within you and your children (Ephesians 3:20).
Write a letter to your teenagers and lay it on their bed, sealed with a kiss (if you like this letter, write it out in your own handwriting and sign your name). If you are looking for more resources on dating in today’s world, I highly recommend the book, Courtship In Crisis by Tomas Umstattd Jr.
Seven years later, we added another baby boy, completing our family with 4 boys and one precious daughter. LaVon and I have been married for almost 23 years, and he is still the love of my life!
My purpose in life is to pass onto others the refreshing that has been poured out on me, shaping me into what I am today and am still becoming. I am forever grateful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for finding me and giving me a hope and a future.