Are you looking for that perfect side dish to accompany your Easter dinner? Do you adore bacon? I have the perfect dish for you! My kids, hubby, and I are all huge fans of bacon. When added to just about any dish, it makes it better. Maybe that’s an exaggeration, but the Carson family loves their bacon.
This green bean dish is not your grandma’s green bean casserole. It’s a little lighter, using fresh, nutritious, steamed green beans. Adding caramelized onions and the aforementioned bacon really takes it up a notch. Wow your guests this Easter or make this for your next family gathering.
Delectable Green Beans & Bacon
By: Brandi Carson
2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and ends cut off
1 pound bacon, chopped into medium-small pieces
1 large onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
- After preparing your green beans, steam them in a steamer basket over boiling water for 5-7 minutes. You want them to look bright green and still have a bit of crunch left in them. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, preheat to medium-high heat.
- Cook bacon until crispy, 10-15 minutes. Remover with a slotted spoon. Remove bacon grease, leaving a few tablespoons in the pan for sautéing vegetables.
- Lower heat to medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until aromatic, stirring continuously. Quickly add onions.
- Sauté on medium to medium-low heat until caramelized. This process takes a while to make the onions nice and sweet, up to 20-25 minutes.
- Once onions are caramelized, add steamed green beans and bacon, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix together and serve hot.
My husband and I got married very young and started a family right away. Life has been a series of many trials that we have had to work through, like having a daughter with severe ADHD, moving to 4 different states in 2 years, health problems and just life in general. Through the years the Lord has shown me so much grace and love and has taught me so much about how to be humble, show love and grace.
Each day I strive to be the best mama and wife I can be and fulfill the calling the Lord has placed in my life. I have a passion to help other mamas in any way I can. I am still a work in progress and make mistakes like everyone else and am nowhere near perfect but I am learning to pick myself up, forgive myself and keep seeking the Lord in all I do.
We are finally settled in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado for the past few years where the Lord has allowed us to build a house and grow roots. He brought me the Help Club for Moms and the amazing community I get to be a part of.