“I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” Psalm 27:13-14
“However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts.” John Calvin
- Oh, how your Savior loves you! Come and meet with Him with expectation today. You are favored! Take out your Bible and notebook. Play some beautiful instrumental music during your time with the Lord today.
- Read Psalm 27:1-14 and 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17. Highlight or write Psalm 27:13-14 in your journal.
Is there anything cuter than a toddler in footie jammies? I just love it!
As I was thinking about expecting God, this is the picture He laid on my heart: Three sweet little ones all zipped up in their jammies, staring with wonderful excitement at their Christmas tree!
Do you remember this feeling of pure joy and anticipation? Did you know this is the way our benevolent Father in Heaven wants us to look to Him–in expectation of His presence and His work in our lives with delight and contemplation?
The word Advent means “coming.” For Christians, Advent is a time to look forward to Christ’s final return and the fulfillment of his plan—His second coming. We are longingly waiting for our King!
This Advent season, He wants us to wait in expectation for the good things He has for us before His return:
- To gaze upon His face with excitement.
- To revel in His amazing love for us and to wait for the dreams He has laid on our hearts.
- To expect is to know that something will certainly happen!
“For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless” (Psalm 84:11). We can expect favor, honor, and good things from God!
“Then Jesus said, ‘Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?’” (John 11:40).
Oh, what will He do in our lives if we are daughters who believe? Let us be daughters of the Mighty King who believe we will see the glory of God, and who walk in faith knowing and expecting God to bring His good works to fruition.
As sure as He is coming again, we can expect His goodness and blessings to manifest in our lives! Take this season to look to your Heavenly Father as a child looks forward to Christmas. Just between you and God, when you see a Christmas tree, decoration, or nativity scene this season, smile and let it be a reminder of not only His goodness now, but also of His future return to claim you—His precious daughter for eternity!
Blessings and Love,
Questions to Ponder
- Are you in a season where you have lost your zeal for the Lord? Pray and ask Him to return it to you. Set aside time to spend with God. Our faith is not based on feelings, but instead, our faith is based on a person, Jesus Christ. When we continue to spend time with Him, we are moving in the direction of faith instead of doubt, which leads to anticipation!
- Write and display a running list of the many good things God has done for you over the years. Have a family worship night to thank Him!
Ask the Lord for a Christmas devotion to do with your family. Christmas Carols for a Kids Heart has been one of our favorites! Your family will learn the true stories behind the songwriters of favorite Christmas hymns. It is simple, beautifully illustrated, and comes with a CD. It is a great way to start or end your day in the season of Advent!
I have been married to my high school love, Andrew for 13 years. We have three loving and energetic children. God brought us to the beautiful mountains of Colorado from Las Vegas in 2012. We are on the greatest adventure of our lives as we follow Him in this unpredictable journey. I am passionate about home, family, friends, books, long walks, animals, and connect with God through nature. I love quiet afternoons with a cup of tea!