My husband had the sweetest grandmother I have ever known! Mona Weakly loved the Lord and loved people. I frequently received hand-written letters in the most beautiful cursive I have ever seen! She wrote of her simple life and what was happening in her world with such love and care. She loved me like I was her own granddaughter.
Grandma Weakly, as we called her, was an incredible cook, always ready with fresh-baked cookies on hand for visitors. She ate sugar every single day and somehow managed to stay thin and live to be 95 years old! Her Pumpkin Pie recipe is the most delicious I have ever had in my life, and the crust is super simple. I can’t wait to see Grandma in heaven someday to give her a big hug!
GRANDMA WEAKLY’S PUMPKIN PIE
By: Deb Weakly & Mona Weakly
1 large can (29 oz) Libby’s Pumpkin
3 cups sugar
1 1⁄2 Tbsp cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp flour
1 large can evaporated milk (12 oz)
1⁄2 cup milk
2 Tbsp half and half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat eggs until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour into Grandma’s Press-in-the-Pan Pie Crust (see recipe on the next page).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cool before eating.
PRESS-IN-THE-PAN PIE CRUST
1 1⁄2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1⁄2 cup oil
2 Tbsp milk or half and half
- Mix well and press thinly into the pie pan.
- Pre-bake in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Add filling and continue to bake the pie according to directions.