Hey mamas! Have you ever heard of Reformation Day? I hadn’t either until a couple of years ago, now it is a fun tradition (PARTY!) we like to celebrate each year! Want to join us?!
Reformation day is celebrated on October 31st to commemorate an amazing move of the Holy Spirit in the church back in the year 1517. God lit a spark in the heart of Martin Luther that spread the fire of truth through the church of that day. The church had fallen into believing that salvation had to be earned, that God’s Word wasn’t for everyone to read, and that we couldn’t pray directly to God. God opened Martin Luther’s eyes to the truth of His Word, and from that a new revival in the church unfolded! When we celebrate Reformation Day with our kids, we are showing them the Gospel in a beautiful way, we are teaching them about salvation by grace through faith. Reformation Day signifies the faithfulness of God in each of our lives and it is a day truly worth celebrating!!
Here are some ideas and resources to make your Reformation Day Party AWESOME!! (P.S. You don’t necessarily have to celebrate it on the 31st but can choose a day that works well for your family!)
-Print and tape these 95 Theses to your front door. Read through a few of the theses together and point out Luther’s desire to base our beliefs on Scripture alone instead of the whim and fancy of the current culture. Talk about how Scripture is infallible and is God’s gift, His love letter, to us. http://bit.ly/2MXAmf6
- Talk about the 5 Solas (Biblical truths of faith in Christ). Printable: http://bit.ly/2NCKVU7 Coloring page: http://bit.ly/31ZpP7p
- Listen to (or sing!) A Mighty Fortress is Our God written by Martin Luther. Here are a couple good versions: http://bit.ly/2PxRiKK (sweet) or http://bit.ly/2N1iSOI (my boys like this one)
- Read books that beautifully explain the story behind Reformation Day. Check these out:
- Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed the World(Maier) https://amzn.to/2or2kpY
- The Barber Who Wanted to Pray (Sproul) https://amzn.to/2q6QmCk
- The Church History ABC’s (Nichols) https://amzn.to/31Ww23N (**A couple of these book readings and many others can also be found on YouTube for FREE!!)
- Watch a short video on the history of Reformation Day! http://bit.ly/2NnMrt3 or http://bit.ly/2Wsvjqf or http://bit.ly/2qaueab
- Talk about the Luther Rose (Black Cross- Jesus died for our sins on the cross, Red Heart- We have new hearts and desires by faith, White Rose- We have peace with God, Blue Sky- We have new life that begins now, Gold Ring- We have eternal life in heaven). Coloring page: http://bit.ly/2WpNqNe Further Explanation: http://bit.ly/2MY6zTm
- Play Pin the Beard on the Theologian. Honestly, the only purpose behind this activity is fun and a few laughs for my family of all boys. http://bit.ly/2Ntvc9y
- Make fun Reformation Day snacks (there are some great ideas and fun printables right here: http://bit.ly/2NprjlZ ) Or just celebrate with something simple like popcorn or milkshakes!
- Pray together! Talk about how much we are loved by God! Let this be a party filled with so much joy, worship and celebration of our Mighty God who loves us so!!!
- The Greatest Gift You Can Give to Your Husband: Companion Guide - September 8, 2020
- The Greatest Gift You Can Give to Your Husband: Help Club for Moms Book - September 8, 2020
- Don’t Overlook the Little Things Mama - August 1, 2020