It’s never too late to pick a hymn for your children! We recently prayed along with our Son-in-Love’s parents and picked a hymn for our adult children and gave it to them as a special gift!
Picking a hymn for each of your children is one of the most meaningful gifts you could ever give. I once heard this idea from a friend and passed it on to my local mom’s group here in Colorado. One of my moms took it to heart, prayed about it, and selected one for each of her 13 children! Another mom brought her precious 2-year-old daughter with her to visit me at my house. She said to her daughter, “Sing Mrs. Deb your song.” Then this sweet babe in Christ started singing beautifully the song, “Be Thou my Vision!” She knew this was her song, and sang the whole thing! For the rest of her life, this little one will remember that God gave her Mommy a song for her as a faith-strengthening, precious gift. What a blessing!
It’s so simple to give this gift to your child:
- Pray and ask God to give you a hymn or worship song for your each of your children. and ask God why He chose this one for your child.
- If your child is young, sing it to them often. If they are older and you can find the story behind the hymn, share it with your child. Explain why you think God gave this child this particular hymn. Use this as a way to encourage your child’s faith and the gifts the Lord has placed inside of them Play and sing their song with them often together. Sing it at home and in the car. Talk about it in front of your child so they will hear you say how important it is.
- Print out the hymn and hang it in your child’s bedroom.
- Pray and ask the Lord for the child to always remember their special song as a gift from God to them. Ask Him to let it be a source of encouragement to them and a help to them when they are in need.
Here is a great article I found written by Kevin Halloran which shows some great hymns to chose from. Most of them have links where you can listen to the song.
1. Amazing Grace – John Newton, England (1779)
2. How Great Thou Art – Carl Gustav Boberg, Sweden (1885)
3. Holy, Holy, Holy – Reginald Heiber, England (1826)
4. It is Well – Horacio Spafford, written in the Atlantic Ocean (1873)
5. Great Is Thy Faithfulness – Thomas Chisholm, Kansas, USA (1923)
6. Praise To the Lord The Almighty – Joachim Neander, Germany (1665)
7. Be Thou My Vision – Dallán Forgaill, Ireland (6th Century)
8. All Creatures Of our God and King – St. Francis of Assisi, Italy (1225)
9. All Hail The Power of Jesus Name – Edward Perronet, England (1779)
10. Blessed Assurance – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1873)
11. To God Be The Glory – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1872)
12. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
13. Jesus Paid it All – Elvina Hall, Maryland, USA (1865)
14. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God – Martin Luther, Germany (somewhere between 1527 – 1529)
15. How Firm A Foundation – John Rippon, England (1787)
16. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Robert Robison, England (1757)
17. Crown Him With Many Crowns – Matthew Bridges, England (1852)
18. At the Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
19. What a Friend We Have in Jesus – Joseph M. Scriven (words in 1855) and Charles Converse (Music in 1868), Ireland
20. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus – Helen Lemmel, England (1922)
Contemporary and Modern Hymns
21. In Christ Alone– Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, Northern Ireland/England (2001)
22. Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus) – Chris Rice, USA (2003)
23. 10,000 Reasons –Matt Redman, England (2011)
24. I Will Glory in My Redeemer – Steve and Vicki Cook, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2000)
25. Jesus, Thank You – Pat Sczebel, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2003)