Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:8-9
“Trying to do Lord’s work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.” Corrie Ten Boom
- It’s time to meet with your Jesus! Are you ready to spend precious moments with your Savior? Do you know that He longs to be with you? You are his precious daughter! He loves you dearly!
- Begin by reading Galatians 6:8-9, Philippians 3:3 NLT, and Isaiah 32:15 in your Bible.
- Pray and ask God to speak to your heart about parenting in the power of the Holy Spirit. Ask Him to help you to learn to rely on Him for help with your precious children.
Loving Your Children in the Power of the Holy Spirit
I became pregnant with my third daughter Paisley when my second daughter Ella was only four months old. It was such a surprise!
I know it confused a lot of people who didn’t see me often. They just thought like an elephant; I was pregnant for a few years! People often say the funniest things to you when you are pregnant. They would look at me in bewilderment and ask, so what is your plan when the baby is born? How are you going to do this?
Um, I don’t know. This wasn’t in my plans!
Then my sweet Paisley arrived, and she was such a precious blessing to our family!
There are many moments that our children are so easy to love and parent, but if we are honest, there are also many times we are at a loss when it comes to parenting.
Sometimes it is just plain hard!
As we are going into motherhood, we may expect loving and serving our children will come effortlessly. As they grow we realize in no way can we love them well and understand their hearts fully in our own strength.
Thank goodness our Heavenly Father does not ask us to love in our own strength.
Instead, He has given us the Holy Spirit and wants us to rely on Him for the wisdom, strength, and help we need every day of our lives.
Loving our children in the power of the Holy Spirit is counter intuitive. It often goes against our culture, our flesh, and our earthly knowledge. When our flesh wants to criticize, be short tempered, yell, and withdraw, the Spirit loves perfectly.
When my child is throwing an epic tantrum, and I want to push her away, the Spirit often tells me to draw her near.
I want to freak out; the Spirit reminds me this is the time to display love and meekness.
The exact need of our children’s hearts will come to us by the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.
Even with our greatest intentions, if we are not fully allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us we are missing the power of God! According to the Bible, raising children solely in our flesh brings destruction. We have all been there, and because we are human, we will all be there again.
The great news is that we have grace in Jesus, and we have the ever-present help of His Spirit!
Isaiah 32:15 Tells us, “Until the Spirit is poured out upon us from on high, and the wilderness becomes a fertile field, and the fertile field is considered as a forest.” When we choose to rely on God instead of our flesh, He will pour out His Holy Spirit, and we will sow seeds of love and reap a rich forest in our children!
While loving our children in the power of the Holy Spirit, we will spend much time pushing away and rejecting our flesh, but we can walk by faith knowing HE is guiding us and helping us to love like Jesus, more and more each day.
We can trust God to help us to stop parenting in the flesh, and give us the power we need to be patient, kind, and loving moms.
Pray and ask God for help today! He longs for you to come to Him! You are not alone!
Questions to ponder
- Pray and ask God specific for ways He wants you to love your children in the power of His Spirit, and not your flesh.
- Ask God to search your children’s hearts and tell you things that only he can discern, to give you spiritual eyes to see into their lives.
- What is He laying on your heart?
Faith filled idea
- Start an ongoing journal with each child.
- Write them a note of encouragement asking if they want to be your pen pal!
- Tell them it is your special journal for each other!
Join the Community! Answer today’s question in the comment box.
-How has the Holy Spirit spoken to you about your children and learning to parent in the power of the Holy Spirit and not in your own strength?[/box]
I have been married to my high school love, Andrew for 13 years. We have three loving and energetic children. God brought us to the beautiful mountains of Colorado from Las Vegas in 2012. We are on the greatest adventure of our lives as we follow Him in this unpredictable journey. I am passionate about home, family, friends, books, long walks, animals, and connect with God through nature. I love quiet afternoons with a cup of tea!
Latest posts by Tara Fox (see all)
- Day 3: The Beginning of a New Story - February 28, 2019
- Above the Storm - July 21, 2018
- The Opportunity of Summer: Renewing Your Child’s Mind & Family Relationships - June 8, 2018