“The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.” Lamentations 3:25-26
“The cure to a lonely heart is to be alone with Jesus.” Joseph Prince
- My dear friend, the Lord sees your heart and longs to meet your need for friendship. He is capable of loving you in a way that is unattainable by human standards. Pray that the Lord would reveal His heart to you today and that you would be able to bring your burdens and joys before Him as an offering.
- Find a quiet moment or two to study God’s Word. Read Lamentations 3:25-26. Now, take out your journal and write in big, bold letters this note to you from the Lord: “You are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you,” (Isaiah 43:4). (Though this verse refers specifically to God’s chosen people, the Israelites, you and I are God’s people too, the body of Christ. This thought from the Lord applies to us as well!)
Seasons of Loneliness – Praying for Friends
Dear sister, how is your heart? Do you ever feel that it is overflowing with quiet loneliness? Sometimes the quest for adult friendships is as difficult as it was when we were younger, isn’t it? I always felt that it would get easier, that the days of rejection and walking through life in solitude would be long gone as an adult. That isn’t always the case. Good friends are often hard to find. God loves every part of you though! His adoration for you is as infinite as time itself. He holds your lonely heart in His gentle hands and provides supernatural healing.
If you have been striving for connection in this world, Jesus wants you to rest in Him for awhile (Matt. 11:28-30). Give Him your burdens; He can carry them better than any person (1 Peter 5:7). Talk to Him; He is never too busy or preoccupied. Listen for Him. His whispers of love are nearly constant; we simply need to quiet our spirit to hear them.
The Lord desires that we trust Him with our friendships. Pray that He will bring friends into your life to sharpen you and encourage you in your walk with Him (Prov. 27:17). God’s plan for you is to walk through life in fellowship with others, and He will meet your need for friendship in His timing. Perhaps, like me, the Lord will bring you a close circle of godly friends after many, many years of prayer.
While you are waiting for Him to bring close relationships in your life, draw near to Him (James 4:8). Look for the ways He wishes to refine you. He wants to change you to be more like Him. Sometimes loneliness is the catalyst to that change, the means of becoming more compassionate, humble, and loving. Allow Him work in your heart as only He is able.
Perhaps you have friends who love you and whom you love in return, but you still feel the ache of emptiness and isolation. That is normal my sweet sister! We are not made to be completely filled by another person. Our husbands, children, parents, and friends are unable to entirely fill the void within us. We have an intense need for our Father. He is the only one who can pervade the lonely chasms in our heart and make us whole and complete. With Him, we can be filled with so much love it overflows to those around us. He is our most perfect friend.
Nonetheless, I understand that friendship with our Lord can seem abstract and unreachable. We can neither see nor touch Him. He isn’t physically present when we are longing for an embrace or human companionship, but He is even nearer than we can imagine (Psalm 145:18). He lives inside of us, His companionship is constant, and He is holding our hearts. Ask the Lord to make Himself known to you in a more intimate way. Pray that you will feel His love more deeply. He wants you to seek a relationship with Him and rely on Him to fill your need for connection.
You are precious to the Lord. He will lift your head, dry your tears, and fill the loneliness in your heart with His love and grace. He will provide His own companionship to meet the needs of your heart in ways you cannot begin to imagine (Phil. 4:19). Would you trust Him with your heart today, my friend?
Questions to Ponder
- Are you in a season of loneliness? What does the Lord want to teach you during this season? In what ways does He want to refine you?
- Have you prayed about your friendships, either those who are already in existence or those you hope the Lord will bring? Will you commit your friendships to the Lord today?
- Are you looking for friends to meet your needs in ways only Jesus can? Pray and ask God to reveal areas in which you need to rely on Him more.
- It is possible that YOU are the answer to someone else’s long time prayer for a friend. How are you a friend to others? Find someone to encourage today! Perhaps there is someone you know who seems lonely? Write her an encouraging note and begin to pray for her; think of how you can be a friend to her. God may use you in amazing ways in her life!
Join the Community!
Give hope, prayer, and encouragement below. Post a comment & talk about it.[/box]